Friday, September 24, 2010

Ruth

Today I did something I have been meaning to do for a long time. It is about 4 years since Ruth told me the story of the chips. I tell it to lots of people but I wanted a recording of her telling it herself.
I asked her daughter if I could publish it online and she said it would be grand, because all her family all over the world could see it, and Ruth has family spanning all the continents. Ruth was born here and she has lived all her life on the same patch of land in our village. Her first house was washed away in a flood, and a bungalow built in its place. She is now 100 years old, and is still as bright as a button although she can't see very much. She is a remarkable lady, and this little village is very proud of her.
The carer (Shyvonne) who pops in to brew up for her was there when I called, and she wanted to hear the story of the chips too.
In the old days they made chips with dripping (beef fat) which used to set hard when it cooled down. I will let her tell the story...



Ruth also writes poems when she goes to bed. She stores them in her head and tells them to her many visitors. They don't always rhyme, but everyone loves them anyway.
She is very proud of her birthday card from the queen and the telegram from the MP. She doesn't do facebook. But her great great grandchildren can now see her on theirs. The village photo album also has the photos of her birthday party: click here to see them

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 7:50 pm, Blogger chris said...

Its not Ruth's first video appearance, this is one of her speaking at the grand parade of scarecrows where she led the samba band down the street... http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1227777663379918039&pl=true#

 
At 8:45 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

A real lady who i have know all the time i have lived in Wray. I was on the School Trustees committee with her and i remember she always called a spade a spade
Good Luck Ruth and i loved your chip story which i had heard before but it was good to hear again. Keep smiling, love
Brenda

 
At 11:46 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Brilliant! We could do with more recordings of her. I love her tales about buying her 1st bra and stealing apples, to name but a few. At night she also mentally visits all the houses in Wray and names all the people who lived in them. She also does mental journeys from North to South naming towns/cities on the way and spelling them. No wonder her brain still works so well!
Thanks for that recording, I really enjoyed it as I am sure a lot of people will.
Annea

 
At 11:13 am, Blogger chris said...

Thanks for adding the comments, I will read them out to Ruth, it will make her laugh. I remember her doing the flowers for my wedding 37 years ago... wonder if I could get her to tell that story...

 
At 11:40 pm, Anonymous Vicky said...

Wow! This is my great-great Auntie Ruth! My Grandad told me all about Wray, the flood and the school he went to up the road! I have been up many times to see the scarecrows and usually look up so see a little lady in the window! Lovely video! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home